charlottelynn

charlottelynn

Rush - Lisa Patton

3.5 STARS

I had to keep reminding myself that this was set in 2016.     There were times that I felt like I was back in the dark ages.    I felt like Pearl was 100 years old, not 44 (same age as me), with the way she talked about her babies.  Rush takes place in the South at Ole Miss and I realize there is racism everywhere but it seemed like we were back in the times of segregation.    This is a book that not everyone is going to love.   The talk of racism is not a topic that everyone can handle.   Lisa Patton takes a topic that is not easy and turns it into a story that teaches lessons, opens eyes, and gives a history lesson all in one.

The story is told from many different perspectives.    It is easy to follow and know who is telling their story.   I loved hearing about the college life from different POVs.  Each character had their own opinions and it was interesting to learn how they viewed college, rushing, their families, and the south.     Cali and Ellie are my favorites.    They took what could have been a horrible situation and changed their town, their families, and their college experiences.

Rush is a book that will empower our youth, open the reader's eyes to changes that must be made in the world, and tell a story that will stay with you.