charlottelynn

charlottelynn

The Tuscan Child - Rhys Bowen

The Tuscan Child is set in WWII Italy and the 1970’s.  While the story goes back and forth between the two eras’ there is no confusion as to what is happening.

WWII is told from a pilot, Hugo, whose plane has been shot down and he has landed in enemy territory where he is hidden in a monastery that had been destroyed by bombs and taken care of by a local woman whose husband is off fighting in the war.     The 1970’s centers around the pilot’s daughter, Joanna, who is searching for the beautiful boy who is mentioned in a letter she finds after her father’s death.   The beautiful boy is assumed to be the pilot and the woman’s son so she is looking for her brother.

Rhys Bowen is a talented author.   She describes the scenery, the food, and the local is such detail that I could easily picture the story as I was reading.    I could smell the wonderful dishes the Italian woman, Paola, makes.   I could hear the men at the restaurant telling their tales.    I was picturing the monastery where Hugo stayed, the mountains surrounding the town, and washed out mud roads that had to be travelled to get around.

The Tuscan Child is amazing.   I fell into the story, got to know the characters, and loved every minute of my time reading.    I recommend picking up your own copy.